Discover Mid Wales, an area to explore by bike, on road or off road and connect to Sustrans Routes and other road and off road routes.
Local circuit and linear routes from our accommodation can be easy or challenging, short or long, depending on how you like them.
Our part of Mid Wales is an area of road and off road routes with beautiful scenery, valleys, rivers and hills.
“Builth Wells is considered the birthplace of the MTB series, the home of the long distance mountain bike event and still one of the most anticipated event on the mountain bike calendar. Based in the event organisers home playground, the rolling Mid Wales Mountains have provided excitement to over 20,000 marathonists over the years. With a mixture of classic trials and brand new single and double track bridleways the route will truly showcase the best riding in Mid Wales.”
SCOTT MTB Marathon Series Rd 1 2015
“This series is widely regarded as being THE original single loop off road mountain bike event in the UK. Conceived almost a generation ago, it gave riders the opportunity to experience the big mountain wilds with the security of being fully supported, 3 or 4 route options from 25km through to 90km lets riders select a route to suit their stamina. 16 years on YOU can join us for a big mountain experience in a safe, fun and friendly environment”.
Routes from Builth Wells will get you to Rhayader, Presteigne and the Marches, the Wye Valley, Black Mountains and Brecon and the Beacons, road and off road.
Cycle or get there by car and return, or stay with us as a stop off point on longer journeys.
To give you a perspective from Builth Wells:
Hay on Wye and the Black Mountains are 21 miles away.
Rhayader is 14 miles.
Brecon via Upper Chapel across country is 17 miles.
Presteigne, (East Wales and close to the English border) is 23 miles.
The Bike Park, Merthyr Tydfil is 44 miles (1 hour drive)
Where to go? Routes
As an accommodation base, we are linked or near to:
- Route 8 Cardiff to Anglesey – 257 miles (Wenallt B&B Builth Wells is a mid way point).
- Wenallt B&B Builth Wells to Swansea, Route 43 – a start or finish point.
- Radnor Ring, Route 8 – Wenallt B&B Builth Wells is 8 miles from the start of the Radnor Ring at Llandrindod Wells and return.
- Taff Trail Route 8 – 55 miles from Brecon to Cardiff, 72 miles from Wenallt B&B Builth Wells to Cardiff.
- Wenallt B&B Builth Wells to Hay on Wye – 22 miles one way
For other route suggestions and maps visit:
- For circuit and linear routes from Builth Wells – Generally longer distance rides.
- For a 34 mile linear Wenallt B&B to Rhayader and return.
- For rides around Beulah and Llanwyrtyd Wells
- For Wenallt B&B Builth Wells based circuits:
- For a real challenge, make us a stop off on the the Sarn Helen Trail Route, 270 miles from Conwy to Worms Head (or vice versa) described as “the most ambitious off-road ride in Britain with an Everest’s worth of climbing!” and a rougher alternative to the Sustrans route.
Wenallt B&B Services to make your stay comfortable.
- We have secure cycle storage, pressure washer, drying facilities and a knowledge of the area.
- Builth Wells has its own specialist cycle shop “Cycle-tec”.
- Evening meals are available on request (three courses, inc. tea/coffee from £15).
- We are happy to provide baggage transfer at an additional cost of 0.45p per mile to a maximum of 80 miles from Builth Wells. (We are currently unable to carry bikes).
(As an example, baggage to Cardiff: 128 miles @ 0.45p per mile = £57:00 Please ask for a price.)
We look forward to looking after you.